MVS Enrollment & Eligibility
Memphis Virtual School is not an only learning “option,” but an actual public school within the Shelby County Schools district. Available to students throughout the state of Tennessee, students may enroll full-time and even graduate from our school. Additionally, learners can attend on a part-time basis taking between one (1) and three (3) courses. Full-time applications are accepted in both the Fall and Spring with application materials submitted on our website. Part-time applicants' complete enrollment information at the school of primary enrollment via their designated school counselor.
Before enrolling on a full-time basis, students and parents should consider whether online learning best serves the learner's educational needs. Virtual School is modeled after the collegiate style of online learning and delivered primarily in an asynchronous format, which means that students learn independently, without live interaction with a teacher. Courses are constructed around "modules and lessons" allowing students to work independently and advance at their own pace-with the support and help of a highly qualified, certified, teacher. Teachers are assigned to each class, but are only available for academic support during evening virtual office hours.
The following eligibility requirements apply for full-time student applicants:
Full-Time Eligibility Requirements
(1) The applicant has a 2.8 grade point average (GPA) at the high school level. At the middle and elementary school level, the applicant has an overall "C" average in all courses, with no F’s on the previous report card.
(2) The applicant was promoted to the next grade (not retained the previous school year).
(3) If the applicant has an IEP, they must receive no more than 5 hours of direct educational services or support from the current school of enrollment.
(4) High school applicants are on-pace to graduate, with the designated graduation cohort, in 4 years and a summer.
(5) The applicant completes all mandatory new student induction activities required by Memphis Virtual School.
*In the event an applicant does not meet all enrollment criteria, but a sibling has been accepted, a waiver can be requested. As evident from 2020-2021 final grades, a student demonstrating success in a virtual environment is one factor when requesting and considering a waiver request.
Accepted students will enroll at Memphis Virtual School for the entire Fall 2021 semester. After acceptance and enrollment, learners cannot transfer to another Shelby County School until the Spring 2022 semester. Enrolled students will also be able to continue with Memphis Virtual School during the Spring 2022 semester.
Note: Students currently accepted or enrolled in an optional, upon enrolling at Memphis Virtual School, will not have their seats reserved. However, students may re-apply via the district’s general choice application process.